This is a post, that I personally love very much. I am convinced pizza is one of the most ingenious creations ever. (Peanut butter comes second place, Thank you George Washington Carver!) I’ve been making my own pizzas for a few years now. Vegan pizzas, goat cheese pizzas, mozzarella cheese pizzas, you name it! The other day I tried a pizza that didn’t require vegan or dairy cheese at all. Blasphemy? No, no, no! This pizza was all around yummy and definitely different from the usual vegan pizza. It kind of reminded me of hummus (minus the chickpea flavor!)
For the crust I simply used a premade dough from Wegmans. Which is not gluten free. Try replacing the regular flour with amaranth flour or brown rice flour! But you can make your own by following this recipe (adapted from fleischmann yeast):
* 1 cup of white bread flour (OR 1/2 whole wheat 1/2 all purpose) + 3/4 cup flour divided.
* 3/4 tsp salt
* 1/2 tsp sugar
* 2 tsp pizza herbs (dried oregano & basil)
* 2 & 1/4 tsp instant yeast
* 3 tbsp olive oil
* 2/3 cup very warm water
* More flour for surface wen kneading.
Directions: In a large mixing bowl, mix together 1 cup flour, salt, sugar, dried herbs, and yeast. Stir well. Now quickly add in 2/3 cup very warm water along with your 3 tbsp of oil. Stir well. It will be extremely sticky so add in your 3/4 cup more of flour. Once all the flour is stirred in, grab the dough and place on floured surface. Knead the dough for 5 minutes adding flour if it gets tacky. After 5 minutes the dough should be smooth. Form into a bowl and place in a large, oiled bowl. Cover the ball with a bit of oil so it doesn’t dry out. Now cover the bowl and let it rise for 1 1/2 hours. For the best results, make the dough the night before and place it in an oiled and sealed plastic bag in the fridge.
For the sauce:
* 1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce or crushed tomatoes
* 1/2 tsp dried oregano and basil
* 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
* 1 tsp salt
* 2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
* 1 tablespoon agave nectar (or 2 tsp white sugar)
* Optional: A splash of balsamic vinegar for some tang!
Directions: In a small saucepan, combine all all ingredients, on medium flame. When sauce begins to bubble, cover, and put on a low heat. Cook for about 5 minutes.
Now for the “cheese” I found the recipe in The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook and loooooved it.
* 1 1/2 cup water or plain non dairy milk (I used vegetable broth & it worked great)
* 1/4 cup nutritional yeast flakes
* 1/4 cup flour (gluten free peeps use brown rice flour)
* 2 tbsp sesame tahini
* 2 tbsp kuzu, arrowroot, or cornstarch
* 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
* 1 tsp onion powder OR 1 tbsp chopped onion
* 1/4 tsp garlic powder OR 1 minced garlic clove
* 3/4 tsp salt OR to taste
Directions: Place all ingredients in a blender and process until completely smooth. Transfer to a small saucepan. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring almost constantly with a whisk until thick and smooth.
Now for the fun part!
Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Once you’ve rolled out your pizza dough, spread on your sauce, and then “cheese.” Top the pizza with whatever your heart desires. I opted for fresh basil, sun dried tomatoes, and summer squash. Put in the oven for about 20-25 minutes and let stand for 2 minutes before devouring it.